Wednesday, February 5, 2014

2.5.14 Bee-otch of the Day: heroin


Bee-otch of the Day honors are awarded Monday through Thursday, Bee-otch of the Week is awarded Friday on Chuck69.com.



DON'T FORGET TO "LIKE" BEE-OTCH OF THE DAY ON FACEBOOK!

----------

 

Name: heroin
Age: 140
Occupation: drug
Last Seen: on the black market
Bee-otched For: claiming another victim


---

On Sunday, I was looking at Wikipedia's 2014 deaths page and there were only two names.

But, that was going to change.

I went to my aunt's house for dinner and at the table, she asked me, "did you hear about the actor who died?"

I asked, "who?"

My cousin replied, "Phillip Seymour Hoffman. He died from a heroin overdose."

I was shocked. He was one of the finest actors of our time, winning a best actor Oscar for Capote and most-recently appeared in the Hunger Games movies. But yes, heroin played a role in his passing, as a needle was in his arm while he laid on his bathroom floor dead. Over 65 bags of heroin were discovered in his New York apartment.

Hoffman was at the pinnacle of his career. Many considered him the finest actor of our time. But, he had his demons, and the big one was heroin. He was open to his addiction, especially when he was in his 20's. As Hoffman's career grew, some would have thought that a man with a soulmate, three young children and a lavish career in movies and Broadway would never think about hurting his life with the needle in his arm. But, bad things happen to good people.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman is yet another great entertainer whose life ended because of heroin abuse. He joins the likes of John Belushi, Chris Farley, Janis Joplin and Cory Monteith whose lives were cut short because of the drug. Others have fought the abuse of the drug and won. Ironically, Hoffmann died the same day down the street in New Jersey where the Seattle Seahawks won the Super Bowl. It was 20 years ago this year that Kurt Cobain - who fought heroin abuse for years - died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He, like Hoffman, were born in 1967.

Seattle was also the home of Alice in Chains. Their lead singer, Layne Staley, died of a speedball in 2002, eight years to the day Cobain died. He was also born in 1967.

You know, I'm proud that I never tried heroin. Give some to me, and I won't even touch it. When I was a teen, I saw Trainspotting and it scared me. The erratic behavior, the losing of bowels and the irresponsibility of the mother who gave her kid her heroin-induced breast milk. Are people that stupid to even want to try it?

True, Phillip died a junkie, but his talent did overshadow it. I think the best answer is to never try it at all, and if you're a user, get help. I hope that his death will help others and will prevent it from ever happening.

 ---

Got a Bee-otch to nominate? E-mail us @ chuck69dotcom@gmail.com. All suggestions (except for me) are welcome!

Bee-otch of the Day Archives can be seen on http://beeotchoftheday.blogspot.com!

Bee-otch of the Day is a production of Chuck69.com, Grand Rapids' site for Stern, politics and more!




  




No comments:

Post a Comment