Wednesday, April 4, 2012

4.4.12 Bee-otch of the Day: employers who invade on your privacy


Bee-otch of the Day honors are awarded Monday through Thursday, Bee-otch of the Week is awarded Friday on Chuck69.com.


DON'T FORGET TO "LIKE" BEE-OTCH OF THE DAY ON FACEBOOK!
 
-------------------
 


Name: various
Age: various
Occupation: employers
Last Seen: everywhere
Bee-otched For: wanting to be your big brother
---

Well, I hope that my employer doesn't read this.

Or ANYTHING that I post on this here site.

But however, there are companies out there who will do their damndest to make sure that you'll be happily thinking of them in a positive manner once you walk out of their building, get into your car and head home.

Recently, there have been stories of employers asking current and potential employees for their Facebook passwords. One sad story came from right here in Michigan in the town of Cassopolis - near the Indiana border - where 27-year-old teacher's aide Kimberly Hester is currently suspended from her job at an elementary school because she didn't give her boss her Facebook password. According to her, they asked her for her Facebook password because she posted a picture of a co-worker with her pants down. There was no nudity in the photo, but it was enough for the Louis Cass Intermediate School District to suspend her, even though it was only viewable to her friends.

Now, several legislators are fighting for people like Hester, such as Michigan state rep Matt Lori, who even contacted her. Shockingly enough, Lori just happens to be a Republican, serving Michigan's 59th district, which serves the Michiana area.

You know, folks, I've worked my DAMNDEST to make sure that I NEVER mix my work life and social life. I have in the past, and paid the consequences. Many years ago, I worked at a convenience store in northern Michigan. One of my co-workers was an older woman who worked in the deli, and she was 4'11". She always needed help carrying her stuff out to her big-ass SUV (surprise), mainly bottles of wine she claimed was for cooking. However, my boss sold out and my new boss severely cut my hours. So, my co-worker was nice enough to have me over Sunday afternoons to help her around her house, doing everything from scooping dog poop to putting up drywall. However, by about 3 p.m., the booze was out and she and her hubby were drinking like crazy. Even worse, when word came out that I was hanging out with her on Sunday afternoons, the rumors spread out. One of them was that they were paying me in alcohol, and I was just 20 at the time. Even worse, I had my 21st birthday party at her house, and it was a sickening yenta fest. Thankfully, I moved to Grand Rapids just one week after my birthday. She told me to tell me where I lived after I settled in. I kindly discarded her address because it was time to move on and I didn't want an old drunk bitch from northern Michigan to be part of my social life.

It's just like one of my favorite episodes of King of the Hill where Enrique decides to live with Hank as much as possible because he and his wife weren't getting along. In the office, he was bragging about Hank's personal life and it got to Buck Strickland's attention. Of course, it finally got to the point where Hank had to take matters into his own hands, and when Enrique came over in the middle of the night while the family was sleeping, he and his family pretended to ignore him while he was pounding on the door and even calling them. In the end, he and his wife got back together and all was well.

Trust me, this is why I use an alias for my Facebook account. I don't want my co-workers knowing my internet identity and what I post online. I have a few folks at work who have asked me for my Facebook address and I've told them "good luck". Hell, my employer even asked us to create LinkedIn accounts to help promote our company. I have one, but I don't use my real name for that, either. So, fat chance.

The point is, what goes on in my personal life is nobody's goddamned business but mine. To me, it's like being paid to be a Chicago Backhawk fan while you're into the Red Wings in real life. What I will say is that at my company, there's a TON of people who are seriously looking for new jobs, and I'm one of them. I haven't had a raise in almost eight years and my bills have dramatically increased. However, I definitely don't want my boss to know, so this is why 1) I use an alias and 2) I never mention the name of my employer on here, and if I were to leave or get fired from that place, I probably won't even mention it here.

What's on here, stays here.

--
Got a Bee-otch to nominate? E-mail us @ chuck69dotcom@gmail.com. All suggestions (except for me) are welcome! 
Bee-otch of the Day Archives can be seen on http://beeotchoftheday.blogspot.com!
Bee-otch of the Day is a production of Chuck69.com , Grand Rapids' site for Stern, politics and more!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment